"Multi-Business" as usual: More and more people employed in Switzerland have not only one job. Especially during the founding period, one often has to take on a job in addition to the startup. I'll tell you what you have to take care of if you are in this situation.

1. Multiple employment - what is it and am I allowed to do it in Switzerland?

Pretty simple, actually: it is called like that if you are working for several employers. The term applies even if you have your main job as an employee and work in addition for your own company. Of course it is permitted but you must pay attention to a few points.

2. What is the contractual fulfillment of obligation?

You should be able to clearly separate the jobs from each other and still meet the requirements – within the terms you agreed to. Also, your employer must ensure that the legal requirements are met. That may be controlled. Also, you should check whether your employer must approve your avocation, following your contract. It might not be permissible to
work as a secondary activity, but only if the loyalty towards your employer is threatened (Art. 321a, § 3 OR), or if you violate your employment contract, you do not compete with your employer, hurt the company, or reduce your performance noticeably.

3. How much can I work as a whole?

First, see what's cool about it: The law is concerned about your health. Therefore, you have the maximum working hours written in the labour code, which you also must comply to if you have several employers. In the industry services and sales, the highest working time is 45 hours per week and 50 hours in commercial companies. The resting time of about 11 hours is also mandatory. Warning- night shifts with morning work in the other job can become a reason for termination. You must also consider the guidelines for the free days, as well as for night and Sunday work.

4. What about working for others during holidays?

In short, no. According to the Swiss Code of Obligations, your employer may refuse a holiday wage or even reclaim it if you take on a second job. According to the Federal Court, the interests of the employer are thereby infringed as holidays are served to increase productivity.

5. What are the deductions?

If you do not earn more than CHF 2,300 per year from the same employer, no AHV/IV/EO and ALV deductions must be made. Still, you can demand your employer to do so. If you earn more than that, all earnings have to be deducted and allowances can't be credited. But watch out: if you are employed in a private home or in an artistic occupation, AHV
deductions must always be carried out.

6. What comes after work? Pension funds for the multi-employed.

Basically, you are not insured if you earn less than minimum wage – or if you have an employment contract for under 3 months. Some pension funds also insure you with lower wages - ask the experts. Their advice for retirement and disability helps. That is also the case, if your occupations are only in sum above the minimum wage.

7. What's happening in case of accident or illness?

You must differentiate between the healing costs and loss of earnings. The healing costs are usually covered pretty quickly. But if you work less than eight hours a week, you are usually not insured by your employer for accidents outside the company. Because of that, I recommend you take out an additional private insurance against accidents. It can also be
problematic in the event of a loss of earnings. Then, the employers have to pay, but only for a limited time. Caution is also required in the case of temporary employment. So, you see, it's tricky –  please get in touch with your employer. And note: Your employer is not obliged to indemnify you against wage loss while being sick.

8. Tips on child and education allowances

Since January 1, 2009, these are called family allowances ("Familienzulage"). They are organized in the Federal Act on Family Allowances (FamZG) and regulated throughout Switzerland.

9. In the case of a multiple employment, you must follow these regulations:

  • In order to be entitled to family allowances, the AHV-liable income of at least
    CHF 587 per month or CHF 7;050 per year must be reached. With concurrent
    employment by different employers, the wages are added up.
  • There is no partial subsidy. There will always be a whole family allowance aligned.
  • A double deduction of family allowances from both parents is not permissible.
  • If you are entitled to allowances, apply for it with your employer, it is time well spent.

That's all for now - good luck and if you have any questions, you canalways chat with me.